From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
John Neiberger
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 10:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RE: Slightly OT: SSH Poll [7:35505]

When I said that it was a pain it meant that we'll have to
change some things operationally which, like most other
security measures, make things a little more difficult.  Just
minor issues, no big deal.  One example might be that if I go
to a remote site to do some work, I may not normally take a
laptop as I could simply telnet in from a workstation.  That
capability would go away.  Like I said, not a big deal at all.

It seems that the primary reason we might use SSH--and the
reason mentioned by auditors--is to avoid sending passwords in
the clear.  However, as someone else mentioned, the version of
SSH supported by Cisco sends passwords in the clear!  If that's
not the case, please let me know.

The other issue that I discovered after I made the original
post is that the 2500 series does not appear to support SSH and
we have mostly 2500s at our remote sites.  Again, if I'm
mistaken there please let me know.

Many thanks!

Regards,
John

http://neiby.home.attbi.com

---- On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Kent Hundley
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> John,
>
> I _always_ recommend using ssh instead of telnet wherever
possible.  In
> fact, I can't think of a single good reason not to use it for
in-band
> management.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by it
being a pain
> since you change passwords often.  I don't see how using ssh
is any more
> of
> a pain than using telnet, and its certainly more secure.
>
> I have seen clients whose security policies dictated the use
of ssh or,
> if
> that were not possible, use of 2-factor authorization such as
securid.
> suspect most organizations are moving to the use of ssh or
have plans to
> do
> so if they are in the least bit security conscious.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

Behalf Of
> John Neiberger
> Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 8:07 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Slightly OT: SSH Poll [7:35505]
>

> I'm wondering how many of you are involved in networks that
use SSH
> exclusively for router access.  Since we're in the financial
sector,
> external auditors continually suggest that this is
necessary.  While
> it's probably not a bad idea, I personally feel it's more of
pain that
> it's worth, especially considering how often we change the
passwords.
> But that's another matter altogether...
>
> So, are any of you using SSH exclusively in fairly large
networks?  If
> so, has it been working well for you?
>
> Thanks,
> John