Dear listers,

  I am frustrated. I had this working perfectly, then my isp decided to
change my ip address, then I had to change my configs and now it's not
working. What I want to do is have NAT running on my 2511, be able to
telnet into it, and have my dns server behind the nat in a private
network. I was instructed earlier to have this partial config (IOS ver.
12.1(10) ):
Interface ethernet0
Ip address 209.x.x.x
Ip nat outside
!
Interface s0
Ip address 192.168.1.1
Ip nat inside
!
!! Maps nat translation process
Ip nat inside source list 101 interface Ethernet0 overload
!! For dns server mapping
Ip nat inside source static 192.168.3.2 209.x.x.x
!
!! Removes external address from nat process
Access-list 101 deny ip host 209.x.x.x any
!! Allows internal translation
Access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any
!
Ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 e0 permanent
Ip route 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 serial 0 permanent
!
end !! EOF
  With the dns server mapping, nat forwards *all* outside traffic bound
directly to the 209.x.x.x interface to 192.168.3.2; so pings from the
interface don't work, and telnets to the interface don't work.  I had it
working where it would only forward appropriate packets to the dns
server, and also allow telnetting from the outside to the 2511. I must
be missing something.

  With or without the dns mapping all the private network clients are
translated correctly. Telnet works fine from the inside. My
understanding is that with cisco's NAT ALG, DNS translation is seamless
*and* you still should be able to use that nat address for telnetting
into the router. I'm not sure why it was working before, if it isn't
supposed to work like this.

  Any ideas? Am I forgetting something that is obvious?

Confused,
Tim Booth
MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE written
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
Benjamin Franklin, 1759