From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Kevin Cullimore
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 4:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How does repeater work? [7:36323]

The classical repeater as described in the first couple of chapters of
nearly every networking/internetworking technologies survey is a little
before my time, but here are some thoughts:

-bridges are often described as multi-port repeaters, leaving the impression
that mere repeaters have but a single port (please note, that the coinage
described might involve distinguishing ingress from egress ports, but that's
hardly clear to the uninitiated). I suppose that an argument might be made
to lend legitimacy to the practice of contrasting the prefix multi with
something other than a term specifically denoting "one" or "single", but I'm
not sure how relevant that will turn out to be as time erodes those cases
without corroborating evidence.

-to the extent that the purpose of the repeater is to extend a LAN, one
might picture a device with two cables (or other data-traversing-friendly
media) attached: one connected to the original network, one connected to the
extension. I'm honestly not sure how else it would function.

-to the extent that the characterization i've provided is accurate, it might
be useful to apply bridging concepts in order to discern the functionality
of the repeater. A bridge accepts packets on a given port and, by charter,
does NOT transmit replicas of those packets on the same (ingress) port. I
therefore picture a repeater as a device that has 2 connections: one to the
original network, one to the LAN extension. If this is the case, I would
presume that the relevant functionality is to perpetuate packets received on
one port to the other. If that is the case, the repeater cannot be said to
create a loop. Note: if a loop already exists, the repeater would perpetuate
that condition, by design.

All: as I mentioned, repeaters ceased to be relevant before my time. If
anyone knows differently about the topics I've alluded to, please post your
dissenting statement.

Thanks,