If you really read somewhere that a bridge is a multi-port repeater, trash
that reference. ;-) Bridges (switches) solve different problems than
repeaters (hubs).

The original repeaters had just two ports (in and out). These repeaters
were implemented to allow one to get around the limitation that a single
coaxial-based Ethernet segment could be only 500 meters (10Base5 or Thick
Ethernet) or 185 meters (10Base2 or Thin Ethernet).

With a repeater you could connect a 500 meter segment to another 500 meter
segment and not have a problem. The repeater amplified the signal so that
the signal on one side propagated to the other side. The repeater repeated
all bits. It didn't understand frames and worked with signals and bits.

Then the engineers figured out that these repeaters could connect more than
just two segments, and along came the multiport repeater. The multiport
repeater evolved into a HUB.

A bridge works at the next layer up. A bridge divides up collision domains
and solves the over-utilization problem. Although it also solves distance
restrictions, that's not its main intent. A bridge understands frames and
hence can offer many features. The bridge evolved into a SWITCH.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com