We have the same issue here, but since our physical web servers run both
a secure and unsecure site, we simply use ping for the secure service
and an http get for the unsecure service.  If we see the unsecure site
go down, we know users won't be able to get to the secure site either.
If it were possible we could get away with turning off keepalives on the
secure site since it's kind of pointless.

I believe it's possible to setup scripted keepalives where the CSS
actually logs into your secure site but that's way to much work.  :-)

John

>>> "sam sneed"  2/26/02 9:58:54 AM >>>
I was thinking the same thing but I did not try that. My problem with
that
is if the HTTP service fails and SSL down with it the ping will still
show
the server as availbale and forward requests to it. You think there is
some
way I could specify the keepalive with a port # instead of  type http?