I'm not sure you can get away without knowing the exact addressing for the
value you wish to monitor. Unless things have changed recently, you need to
take the oid values for the parameter you want to monitor, figure out what
the index number of the entity you want information about (such as a ppp
interface, ospf area or a global parameter), join them together and place
the result in a configuration for a particular graph.

(Note: these examples are using generic mibs, since I don't have compiled
versions of the cisco mibs handy. Since, based on your subject line, you're
interested in router health, and want CPU statistics, I'm concerned that IOS
version might be an issue, since Cisco has been migrating from one set of
mibs to another over time, and I'm not aware of non-proprietary mibs for
router memory & cpu usage-If anyone knows better, please enlighten).
Unfortunately, I've not been happy with the detail on readily available
sites addressing non-prepackaged snmp monitoring of cisco-specific
variables: the most comprehensive one I've found is the somix templates
site. For those willing to work through it , here's a partial overview
addressing the "what do you do with them" part of the question.

1. figuring out what you want to monitor:

MIB files are generally viewable via wordpad; I'm told they're in ASN.1
syntax (I haven't read the ISO documents myself, so I can't verify that),
which some people find unwieldy, but you can certainly find descriptions
associated with a given OID:

Name: ospfSpfRuns
Type: OBJECT-TYPE
OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.14.2.1.4
Full path:
iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).ospf(14).ospfAreaTable(2).
ospfAreaEntry(1).ospfSpfRuns(4)
Module: OSPF-MIB

Parent: ospfAreaEntry
Prev sibling: ospfImportAsExtern
Next sibling: ospfAreaBdrRtrCount

Numerical syntax: Counter (32 bit)
Base syntax: Counter32
Composed syntax: Counter32
Max access: read-only

  table  has  been  calculated  using this area's
  link-state database.  This  is  typically  done
  using Dijkstra's algorithm.

So, If you're interested in the description (to verify your ospf
implementation's stability or lack thereof) , you'd use the OID value
indicated.

Note some tools such as MG-SOFT (disclosure: paying customer) or even
snmputilg make this a lot, lot easier (I don't remember if Getif, the free
one, can display the description of the object).

The transmission node,
iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).transmission(10), contains
some useful media-specific sub-nodes (frame-relay, DS3 & others) featuring,
at a minimium, error & traffic counts as well as state information.

2. Figuring out the instance ID/index:

if you're interested in, say excessive collisions for a specific interface,
you would issue an SNMPWALK on the following oid to get the list of
available instances, and append the one you're looking for to
1.3.6.1.2.1.10.7.2.1.9

Name: dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions
Type: OBJECT-TYPE
OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.10.7.2.1.9
Full path:
iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).transmission(10).dot3(7).d
ot3StatsTable(2).dot3StatsEntry(1).dot3StatsExcessiveCollisions(9)
Module: EtherLike-MIB

Parent: dot3StatsEntry
Prev sibling: dot3StatsLateCollisions
Next sibling: dot3StatsInternalMacTransmitErrors

Numerical syntax: Counter (32 bit)
Base syntax: Counter
Composed syntax: Counter
Max access: read-only

Reference: IEEE 802.3 Layer Management

  particular interface fails due to excessive
  collisions.

3. Placing the results in a graph's configuration (sample excerpted from
http://www.bubbagates.com/mrtg/mrtg.cfg):

The line beginning with "Target" specifies the target SNMP object.

### PPP Dial-In Modem Lines on AS53001 (Scranton) ###

Target[AS53001]:
1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.4.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.5.0:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PageTop[AS53001]: PPP Dial-In Modem Lines on AS53001 (Scranton)