His IOS is correct for the box: Let's put a little padding in - then post
the URL.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/620/5.shtml#identifiers

Good chance the serial ports are toast. He should call the TAC and find out
what it would cost to repair/replace a defective box. It might be a
reasonable amount.