we have been having this debate internally. Take a 65xx box, throw in a
switch fabric module ( increase the back plane to 256 gig ) throw in a few
fabric enabled cards. life is good.

but later, you have need for a non fabric enabled card - say a flexwan
module or an IDS blade.

if I understand things correctly, doing so means that none of the line cards
can use the SFM, and that effectively the box is crippled, limited to the 32
gig native backplane.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/tech/hafc6_wp.htm

reading this document, it really is not clear what exactly happens. It notes
that with a mix of fabric and non-fabric cards, throughput is reduced from
30 mpps to 15 mpps. I think it says that the sup module will no longer use
the SFM.

what I am looking for is something definitive. if I buy a 6509, and my
requirement includes a non fabric enabled card, then there is no point to
buying the SFM?

I ask, because different Cisco sources keep telling me different things. Pre
sales tells me true - and the AM/SE team tells me false - that the SFM is
always used by the fabric enabled cards.

Parenthetically, it's stuff like this that makes Extreme and Foundry look a
lot better.