I have found that asking, innocently, "why is it important to get the
wrong answer quickly" sometimes clarifies such situations.

Strange things do happen. I had an otherwise sane customer that had
10 Mbps to the desktop, which was routed to two FDDI rings on
dual-ported servers. There were about 100 servers, 85 for software
development and 15 production.  About 1000 programmers with
high-powered UNIX workstations accessed these servers.