Multichassis Multilink PPP Overview
Prior to Release 11.2, Cisco IOS supported Multilink PPP (MLP).
Beginning with Release 11.2, Cisco IOS software also supports
Multichassis Multilink PPP (MMP).

Multilink PPP provides the capability of splitting and recombining
packets to a single end-system across a logical pipe (also called a
bundle) formed by multiple links. Multilink PPP provides bandwidth on
demand and reduces transmission latency across WAN links.

MMP, however, provides the additional capability for links to terminate
at multiple routers with different remote addresses. MMP can also handle
both analog and digital traffic.

This feature is intended for situations with large pools of dial-in
users, where a single chassis cannot provide enough dial ports. This
feature allows companies to provide a single dialup number to its users
and to apply the same solution to analog and digital calls. This feature
allows internet service providers (ISPs), for example, to allocate a
single ISDN rotary number to several ISDN PRIs across several routers.
This capability allows for easy expansion and scalability, and for
assured fault tolerance and redundancy.

MMP allows network access servers to be stacked together and appear as a
single network access server chassis so that if one network access
server fails, another network access server in the stack can accept calls.

With large-scale dial-out, these features are available for both
outgoing and incoming calls.

Stack Groups
Routers or access servers are configured to belong to groups of peers,
called stack groups. All members of the stack group are peers; stack
groups do not need a permanent lead router. Any stack group member can
answer calls coming from a single access number, which is usually an
ISDN PRI hunt group. Calls can come in from remote user devices, such as
routers, modems, ISDN terminal adapters, or PC cards.

Once a connection is established with one member of a stack group, that
member owns the call. If a second call comes in from the same client and
a different router answers the call, the router establishes a tunnel and
forwards all packets belonging to the call to the router that owns the
call. Establishing a tunnel and forwarding calls through it to the
router that owns the call is sometimes called projecting the PPP link to
the call master.

If a more powerful router is available, it can be configured as a member
of the stack group and the other stack group members can establish
tunnels and forward all calls to it. In such a case, the other stack
group members are just answering calls and forwarding traffic to the
more powerful offload router.

 Note   High-latency WAN lines between stack group members can make
stack group operation inefficient.