If you accept a default route only from each provider, this would gives
you some load sharing and redundancy but your chances of suboptimal
routing are fairly high.  Accepting more routes from the providers
raises the chances of more optimal routing because you have more
information to work with.

Your options are primarily limited by your router platform.  If you
wanted to accept default only and had two T-1s you could probably get
away with a 2501.  I wouldn't try it, but it might work.  You could
certainly do it with a 2620.  With BGP and lots of routes, you need
speed and memory.  The 2650 adds more speed and -- I think -- 128MB of
DRAM.  You might be able to squeeze in full routes from two providers on
that machine but I wouldn't try it.  However, you could easily accept
customer-only routes with no problem.

At the present time, we're accepting customer-only routes from two
different big providers and if I remember correctly we've got about
50,000-60,000 routes in the BGP table.  We're doing this on a  3640 with
128MB of DRAM and we're using around 60MB.  As far as processor goes, it
hardly knows it's turned on.

To summarize, if you've got the memory and the horsepower, you might as
well accept full routes.  If not, be careful because you don't want to
overload your link or your router.  If you accept default-only, then you
configure some form of route cacheing on your router and it will do
per-destination load sharing across the two links.

HTH,
John

>>> "brian kastor"  3/12/02 7:15:05 AM >>>
I have looked at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/40.html
and I understand multihoming to 2 different providers.  What I can't
seem to
figure out is if I need a full routing table on the router to make
this
work.  Can someone explain why, if I have 1 router, 2 isp's,
multihomeing,
how I can use default routes from bgp.... or at this point do I need a
full
routing table?

thanks,
ipguru