With this sort of configuration you won't be able to ping your
own interface.  It may seem counter-intuitive at first but the
problem is that the router doing the pinging doesn't have a
frame relay map for its own IP address.  With the point-to-
point interface you had originally this is not an issue.

When you ping your own serial interface the packet usually goes
to remote router first, gets bounced back to the local router
which then replies to the opposite side, which bounces the
reply back to the originating router.  This process won't work
if the originating router doesn't know where to send the first
packet.

This is normal behavior for this sort of configuration and
nothing to be concerned about.

HTH,
John

---- On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Kelly Cobean ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:

> All,
>    I am stumped by some behavior I am seeing in my lab when
testing
> frame-relay.  I have a 4000 configured as a frame switch;
nothing
> special,
> just the standard frame-relay route commands necessary to
switch the
> traffic
> between two other routers (we'll call them rtrA & rtrB, for
clarity.) On
> rtrA, I have configured a physical interface with a map
statement.  On
> rtrB,
> I have configured a P2P sub-interface with a "frame-relay
interface dlci
> xxx" statement (you can't use a map statement on a P2P
interface, the
> router
> complains).  All works fine, and I can ping rtrB and rtrA
from rtrA and
> vice
> versa (In other words, I can ping my own interface and the
remote
> interface
> on both routers).  Here's where it gets weird...If I delete
the P2P
> interface on rtrB, reload to get rid of the residue, then
reconfigure
> the
> router with a multipoint sub-interface and a map statement, I
can still
> ping
> rtrA just fine, but I lose the ability to ping rtrB from rtrB
itself
> (i.e.
> pinging my own interface)  I lose the ability to ping rtrA's
interface
> from
> rtrA at this point as well.  Debug output shows the typical
> "encapsulation
> failed" error, but I'm at a loss as to why I can ping the
remote router,
> but
> not my own interface?  Anyone have any thoughts?  I'm sure
I'm missing
> something, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it
is.
> Thanks in
> advance for any input.
>
> Kelly Cobean, CCNP,CCSA,ACSA,MCSE,MCP+I