Show us your configs.  Also, I remember there was something I heard once....
That pinging a frame interface is actually sent out the interface before
responding.....
which meant that the traffic goes out on the circuit and is sent back....
like I said some typ of rumor.  I would check the CCO and it should
explain it in
more detail.