Hi everyone I have a strange problem I'd like to know if anyone can explain
why it happened and how to prevent it happening again. I have two Cat 5500s
connected using four 10/100 MB port configured as an etherchannel, it was
also configured as an ISL trunk. It's a very simple network with these two
switches, a PIX and only VLAN 1 is used.

The problem occurred when clients DNS requests failed. The DNS is an NT
server which was connected to Switch B, the PIX was connected to Switch A
and the default gateway for VLAN 1 was on Switch A. From a PC on Switch A
you could ping the NT server and the default gateway and PIX etc, but the NT
server couldn't ping the default gateway. Moving a PC to Switch B replicated
the problem, I could ping everything else on the network but not the default
gateway. When I checked the switches I could see some errors on the first
port of the channel, a few align, fcs and runts, I then noticed the port was
leaving and joining the spanning tree every 30 seconds or so. Removing the
cable from the port fixed the problem immediately, when the cable was put
back the problem occurred after about 3 mins. I removed the ISL trunk and
put the cable back and it is working and error free for over 12 hours.

I'd love to know exactly what caused this, I think it was the VLAN
information not being passed down the trunk but I'm not sure and as the link
had to be up v.quickly I didn't have time to test a few things out.

cheers

Pat

--

email me on : [EMAIL PROTECTED]