Kelly great post and I do appreciate the help, I no think my englesh was
that bad (just kidding), been living in Europe too long obviously. Back to
the problem anyway, I removed the ISL trunk from the etherchannel and it's
all OK now, no errors for the past couple of days. Problem is it's at an
exhibition so it's fairly important it doesn't go down. The reasoning behind
the ISL trunk was an application that couldn't handle an address with any
zeros, so we needed an extra VLAN. The network requirements have a habit of
changing rapidly too so it made sense to implement it at the time.

My skill level? hmm  not sure either, but you're right "keep it simple"
works best for me too.

cheers Pat

--

email me on : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

""Kelly Cobean""  wrote in message
> I'll make you a deal...I won't pose design questions in response to your
> fault questions when you can criticize me for trying to help you using
> something other than one big, fragmented run-on sentence.  Worse than my
> unsolicited design suggestions are the inability of most people to form a
> coherent thought in writing to convey their point.  It makes it difficult,
> if not impossible to HELP with the problem at hand when you must focus so
> hard on deciphering the broken sentence that you can't focus on the
> technology.
>
> Now, I certainly get your point that I'm not sticking strictly to the
> question at hand, but one of the best design philosophies (which
determines
> in part your troubleshooting methodologies) out there is "Keep It Simple".
> There is no need to apply a technology if it's not going to be used.  I
> suggest this merely because I don't know you, your skill level, or your
> future plans for this network.  My suggesting that you not use ISL if
there
> are no plans for it in the future was an attempt to save you the
heart-ache
> of chasing down a problem that needn't exist, however educational the
answer
> may be.  I also caveated my statement with "unless you are preparing for
> multiple VLAN's down the road", so be as scalable as you want, just don't
> assume that I know your future plans.  I'm merely analyzing the problem in
> front of me.  After all, you did say that you had to get this up very
> quickly.
>
> Also note that I DID included some other thoughts for you to check on if
> diagnosing the problem to resolution is the path you're on, so my message
> wasn't entirely wasted on babbling about my perceived over-engineering of
> your network.
>
> As with all lists, responses to questions are "take it or leave it."  If
you
> don't like mine that's fine, but maybe someone else on the list was able
> benefit from it.  In the future, I'll refrain from any attempts to suggest
> alternatives to problematic implementations.
>
> Apparently Arrogant,
> Kelly Cobean

CAM