From: Brian Zeitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 9:56 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CCNP exams [7:38097]

My comment is with the CCNP exams. When I started it was the 500 series,
which was not long ago, now its changing to the 600 series. For some
people it takes a while to pass a CCNP exam, so I have not had enough
time to get a lot done in the 500 series, let alone switch to 600. I
know the 600 is not out yet, but still. Also here is a question, why
would someone want to take the last exam in the CCNP series, because
when you take the last exam, your 2 year timer starts ticking. Where is
the motivation there? I think I am just going to work on the course
material, and not take the rest of the exams, $125 a pop is a lot, and
you're right there are so many exams. So for CCNP it would cost me $500.
Then if I wanted to do the security, another 400-500$, that saying if I
passed everything on the 1st go. Then the books and courseware. Then
re-certification, this is an expensive proposition.

And I don't see a significant salary increase for CCNP certification.
Like a regular experienced Network engineer with MCSE/CCNA makes say
like 60-85K. Well that is the same range as a CCNP would make. I donno,
the way some of these help wanted ads are written, you would think that
CCNA is better then CCNP. I always see like "CCNA highly desired".

I am already scheduled for 503, so there is nothing I can do about that.
But I ask myself this question. What is the difference between me going
to a testing center, paying 125$ for each of these exams vs. me going in
my bedroom, sitting down with a Boston or transcender to test my
knowledge. I think I might do just that. Besides, everyone says it is
more important to know the material, and then have some paper. I am not
knocking the CCNP, it's a great program. But right now I can afford
these ongoing cost, and the ongoing cost are not exactly justified. I
thought the exams for the CCNP did test my knowledge of the subject
fairly. My plan for right now is to learn all the material I would need
to be a CCNP, but not take the rest of the exams. If an employer request
I have my CCNP, Ill just say gimme $500 and Ill go do that.