>A true router, 2621/3640/7200, is not usually considered
>a L3 switch. A 6500 with an MSFC module installed can be
>is a L3 switch and will perform L2/L3 routing and switching.
>
>A 6500 without the MSFC module is just a large high speed switch,
>capable of only L2 switching.
>
>A layer 3 switch usually routes the first packet in the flow of data
>and then switches the rest in the switching hardware. This is why L3
>routing/switching is quite a bit faster. A traditional router will use
>IOS software to determine routes and the switch each packet between the
>interfaces in the router.

This is a legitimate argument for process and fast switching,perhaps
for central flow switching, and marginally for optimum switching.  I
would argue it no longer holds in any form of distributed switching.
VIPs, 12000 forwarders, etc. are not IOS software engines.

--
"What Problem are you trying to solve?"
***send Cisco questions to the list, so all can benefit -- not