It is far more accurate to describe a layer 3 switch as a router.

A router consists of a control function and forwarding function.  In
many modern routers, there is a single control processor and multiple
forwarding engines.

Of the carrier-class routers where I am familiar with the internal
design, there simply isn't as much of a distinction between layer 3
and layer 2 forwarding as much marketing material makes it out to be.
The ingress forwarder looks up the destination address (and other
things) in an appropriate hardware-assisted table, which, among other
things, returns the desired output port.  A header telling the fabric
what to do with the packet or frame (e.g., send it to a port,
multicast it to several ports) is prepended to the packet or frame,
which is then handed off to the fabric.  Most of the intelligence is
on the input forwarder.

The idea of physically separating the control and forwarding elements
began with the AGS and autonomous switching, and has continued to
develop.  There is an IETF working group called FORCES that is
looking at general protocols and architectures for such things as
external control engines (i.e., external routers telling a switch how
to forward).

--
"What Problem are you trying to solve?"
***send Cisco questions to the list, so all can benefit -- not