I have no way of testing this, but the understanding that I have is that,
Passive-interface stops the processing of routing updates....but doesn't
stop
Hello's from being advertised out that interface
Yet the database-filter will not allow neighborships from being formed

So you might have the passive-interface but hello's are still being sent
out
that interface,

If someone could check this.... with a passive-interface turn on ospf debug