Lets say your network is 170.10.0.0/16.  You have a router with a
default route pointing at your ISP.  Someone finger checks their telnet
and tries to connect to 170.10.200.1 and this subnet doesn't exist
within your network.  With no ip classless the router drops packet.
With ip classless the packet will follow default until it gets to your
provider who promptly sends it back to you until the TTL expires.

  You can also do this with ip classless

  inter e0
  ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.0.0

  classful would not recognize the /16 mask as being valid for 192.168.

  Dave

--
David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"