From: Rob Webber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 20 March 2002 5:53AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Appreciate Your Expertise On This Strange ARP Problem
[7:38828]

Alec,

This is quite an interesting scenario you ran into. I think I can explain
what happened.

As you mentioned Cisco enables proxy-arp by default. Usually this is a good
thing - in this case it was the cause of the problems.

Before the change when a 10.67.7.* DHCP client wanted to connect to a
10.67.1.* server, the client would issue an ARP request for the 10.67.1.*
address. This ARP request would reach the actual server as well as the A
router. The A router would see that the request was for an address that it
believed was on a completely different subnet (10.67.1.0). Since proxy ARP
was enabled (by default), the router would answer the ARP request using its
own mac address as the destination mac address. At this point there would be
a race between the server responding (correctly) to the ARP request and the
A router responding to the ARP request.

When the server's ARP response won that race, everything worked fine. When
the A router won the ARP response race, it would receive the packets
destined for the server from the client. The A router would then attempt to
route those packets to the correct destination. Its default route said to
route them to router B, which it would do. Router B would then know to
forward those packets right back out the same interface to the server. In
this scenario traffic was taking a strange path, but still working (its
likely router B would actually also send an ICMP packet which may have taken
router A out of the loop).

When the default route for router A was removed, the same race still
occurred. Except now when router A won the race it had no route to correctly
send the packet. Thus the packets would never make it to router B and/or the
server and communication was lost.

You correctly fixed the problem, though it would have been interesting to
see if disabling proxy arp on router A also would have fixed the problem. My
guess is it would have...

Rob.
 wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> This is my first time to post a question.
>
> Here is a real scenario which happened a few days ago. Though the problem
> has been resolved, i still cannot understand what the cause is.
>
> Customer A has a partner connection to B's network. due to lack of
> capability on B's Router/Firewall, one of A's router is plugged directly
> onto B's internal LAN(sounds silly, but it is true).
>
> B's LAN use 10.67.0.0/16 address, of which 10.67.1.x is for servers,
> 10.67.2.x for routers/switches, 10.67.7.x and 10.67.8.x for DHCP clients.
> B's router has 10.67.2.1 addr.
>
> A's router on B's LAN gets assigned an ip addr 10.67.2.2,but a wrong /24
> mask was given by B. since A's users need to talk to B's server, a static
> route(ip route 10.67.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.67.2.1) was added.
>
> A default route is also configured(ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.67.2.1) on
> the A's router.
>
> when this default route was taken off(no obvious reason to point a default
> route to B's default router), all B's dhcp clients cannot talk to their
own
> servers(10.67.1.x) any more even they are on the same subnet.
>
> B's network support was called in, and they found that the A's router is
> incorrectly answering ARP requests(by default ip proxy-arp is enabled on
the
> LAN interface). and somehow the arp respone reaches the client before the
> server's, so the client cannot talk to the servers.
>
> the problem later was resolved by rectifying the subnet mask on A's
router.
> but i still cannot figure out what went wrong when the default route on
A's