[Question] 1. in FR, when we specify clock rate for 64k, we
use clock rate 64000, why
not 64 x 1024 = 65536 ? and for 1.544 mbps, we use 148000,
why not 1.544 x
1024 x 1024 ?

Partial answer: Transmission speeds are in bits per second
(temporal), storage is in bytes (spatial), although you'll
find reference to octets (usually not expressed as bytes) in
the speeds when they're discussing frame formats. When you
see 1.544 mbps, it's 1.544 x 10^6 = 1.544 x 1000 x 1000. As
long as you're measuring speed, you don't make a conversion
from a decimal number to a power-of-2 number. The 1.544 mbps
came from the original T carrier system, when we had T1, T2
(4 x T1) and T3 (28 x T1) encapsulations (or whatever it was
called) and DS0 (64 kbps), DS1 (24 x DS0), DS2 (4 x DS1) and
DS3 (28 x DS1) speeds. If I remember correctly, the T
carrier system was deployed way back in the 1960's in the
US, and in Europe as the E system. The research was probably
finished at Bell Labs and the universities in the 1950's;
they also had specifications for optical that we are still
trying to figure out how to deploy. Those old guys were
pretty smart, especially when you consider the state of the
art at that time.

The DS0 speed came from 8 x 8000 = 8 x 8 kHz. That works out
to a speed of 1,536,000 bps when you combine 24 DS0
channels. Adding 8000 bps (8 kbps) for framing gives
1,544,000 bps or 1.544 mbps. To say that DS1 is 24 DS0
channels is slightly misleading unless you realize that the
extra 8 kbps framing is implied. You'll have to do some
mulitplication to check the DS2 and DS3, and look up some of
the old books (this is considered ancient history now).

I have no idea what to say about 148x 10^x. Where did you
get that?

-- TT