From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
David Armstrong
Sent: March 21, 2002 1:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 3015 VPN Concentrator & MTU's [7:39010]

Unfortunately the Netopia's MTU size can't be changed so nothing is an
option. I'm interested in your thought on which side needs changing though.
Packets larger than (somewhere around) 1400 bits can't traverse the Netoia
R9100 but can traverse the 3015 VPN Concentrator. To me that would seem to
mean that the size of the packets sent from the 3015 to the Netopia are too
large for the Netopia. Increasing the Netopia's MTU would allow it to see
larger frames and therefore not fragment them as they come across. Since I'm
able to sit on the Netopia and send packets across the 3015 into our network
but am unable to send them from inside the Netopia's network across to the
3015 it seems that the problem is stemming from too small MTU size on the
Netopia (packet comes to the inside interface of the Netopia R9100, is
encapsulated and framed with an IPSec header added to the frame for
encryption then sent to the outside interface of the Netopia. The outside
interface fragments frames greater than 1500 bits and thus sends fragments
out the DSL modem into the Internet - I think).

I could be thinking in the wrong direction though and if I am would like to
get thinking in the right. Currently it doesn't appear that I can decrease
or increase MTU size on either device which leaves me thinking that my
options are two: get a router to replace the Netopia that allows changes to
MTU or change the settings for IPSec to decerase the size of the header it
adds to the packet when the frame is created. I'm focusing on the second
now. I need to get a better understanding of the components of IPSec first
though.

Thanks for you input,

David Armstrong