Max Token Ring frame sizes are:

  4 Mbps =  4,550 bytes
16 Mbps = 18,200 bytes

Here's what IEEE 802.5 says (which you can get for yourself at
http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/):

Token Ring has a token holding timer and a Counter, Transmitted Octets
(CTO). The counter CTO is used by the Transmit Finite-State Machine to
limit the number of octets that can be transmitted after capturing the
token and thus limit the token holding time of the station.

The maximum octet count values of CTO (based on a token holding time of 9.1
ms) at 4 Mbit/s is 4550 and at 16 Mbit/s is 18,200.

As far as Frame Relay is concerned, the Info field is variable length.
Cisco documentation claims that the maximum size is 16,000 octets.
Obviously, nobody would really use that big a frame. Also, I don't
necessarily believe what I read in Cisco documentation. I also found the
following info about the minimum that the maximum size of the Info field
could be at this Web site:

http://www.rad.com/networks/1994/fram_rel/frame.htm

Information Field. The maximum number of data bytes that may be put in a
frame is a system parameter. The actual maximum frame length may be
negotiated at call set-up time. The standard specifies that the maximum
information field size (to be supported by any network) is at least 262
octets. Since end-to-end protocols typically operate on the basis of larger
information units, it is recommended that the network support the maximum
value of at least 1600 octets, to avoid the need for segmentation and
reassembling by end users.

In his Data Network Design book, Spohn says that the max size of the Frame
Relay info field is 8188 bytes! (I think the bottom line is that it's not
specified. It's a system parameter, as the other reference states.)

Priscilla

At 08:40 AM 3/24/02, John Green wrote:
>reposting as i got just one response....
>
> >  MTU for ....
> >  Ethernet is 1500 bytes
> >  SLIP     is  576 bytes
> >  Frame Relay  ???
> >  Token Ring   ???

>Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards.
>http://movies.yahoo.com/

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com