You will not be able to find Cisco ATM gear for cheap, that is for sure.

You can buy an old 7000 with (or 7010) ATM blade. This combination shoudl
cost
you around $1500.00 '
It works fine, but the problem is you can not upgrade the IOS to version 12
or
higher. You can configure it legacy way and it works. With this limitation,
you
will not be able to do PVC discovery.

You can buy a newer 7204 or 7206.
The router itself is expensive ($3500), but the ATM module is dirt cheap
($300).

You can buy a 4500 or 4700
The router itselft is around $700 and module is around $1200.
this combination is not too bulky ( like the 7000), can install the latest
IOS.
Can do PVC discovery and you have two bays for other modules.

You can buy a 3620 or 3640.
You pay aroud $1000 for a 3620 with no modules.
ATM module for this baby is outragously expensive ($3000).

With all these options, I would go with 4700.
A word of advice: stay away from SM (single Mode). Buy MM (Multimode) only.

Another alternative is using the virtual labs.
I have seen an auction on eBay that offers telnet to a real ATM lab, with
scenarion and solution and explanation for $20.00
Can't beat that. Search for Cisco ATM scenario

HTH
A. Strobel

Quoting Jeffrey Hall :

> Hey all.  I've just gotten a Vivid Newbridge CS1000, which came recommended
> by one of the more active list members.  My question is this:  what is the
> cheapest router/ATM module combo I can get to master ATM?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeff

-_-_-_ Mail3000 gives you 30 Megs of Email space free -_-_-
This mail sent through http://mail3000.com/