From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Michael Williams
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 1:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: TCP/IP and DOD [7:39657]

It's kinda fuzzy.  I myself just got through doing a tech review of a book
covering this topic as well as have written my own "materials" for training,
etc covering this topic.  IMHO, DoD is credited with "creating the internet"
even though at the time it wasn't called the internet and didn't use the
same protocols we do now.  Although the DoD started the whole mess, from
what I've read DoD commisioned ARPANET to research this.  I'm sure that
peoples are various universities and colleges were in on the actual
deveopment evidenced by the fact that in 1971 there were 15 nodes (with a
total of 23 hosts), namely UCLA, SRI, UCSB, U of Utah, BBN, MIT, RAND, SDC,
Harvard, Lincoln Lab, Stanford, UIU(C), CWRU, CMU, and NASA/Ames.  Note most
of those listed are colleges/universities. I've read some about BBN, however
it seems to me their main role was to supply the first "computers"
(Honeywell 516 mini computers with 12K of memory) that acted as Information
Message Processors (IMPs) (routers?).

However, I would humbly suggest that Howard B. or Priscilla O. throw their 2
cents in here.

Also, since your doing a technical edit, be careful of the words you choose
as well.  For example you use the word "written" over and over above, but I
don't think the conversation is really about "which programmers actually
wrote the code" it's more about "who either spearheaded or caused the
evolution of the *standards* we call TCP/IP" in which case I don't think
crediting the DoD is incorrect.

My 2 cents =)
Mike W.