Comments below...

Thanks,
JMcL
----- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 05/04/2002 03:25 pm -----

"Howard C. Berkowitz"
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
05/04/2002 02:09 pm
Please respond to "Howard C. Berkowitz"

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: OSPF design [7:40269]

Jenny,

First, I apologize for not giving more of a response earlier, but
it's been a crazy few days...three people in my office, including
myself, have had close relatives/friends in surgery and there have
been a lot of distractions.
JMcL: Err.. yes, I can see how that would be distracting.  Thanks for
taking the time for this. /JMcL

I'm going to post and elaborate a bit on some observations I sent to
you earlier, but I'm interested in why and how you have so much core
trouble.  Could you give us an idea of the number of routes and of
routers, and the stability of both, in the non-backbone areas?  Are
the ABRs and any pure backbone routers doing any other
processor-intensive tasks?
JMcL: The non-backbone areas (about twenty of them) vary quite a bit in
size as they map (or did once) to geographic/administrative regions.  As
they consist of multiple geographically-dispersed small offices with two
routers each (for redundancy), they are pretty router-rich - the smallest
area has 20 routers and 21 networks, the largest (I think) has 52/49 in
area x.1.0.0 and 29/27 in x.2.0.0.
While they aren't too bad for stability, the sheer number of sites means
that something is usually playing up somewhere :-(
The ABRs mentioned in the problem below aren't doing anything very
exciting, but some of the core routers have a fair load.  There are
currently 50 routers in the backbone area - the backbone area is spread
across two data centres and the ABRs mentioned (which are in sites around
the country - they have WAN connections to the data centres, not LAN).
Core routers in the data centres also support CIP cards, may be ABRs for
other areas (we're not very good at "pure" backbone routers ;-), and until
recently terminated stacks of DLSw circuits.
We also have adjusted the OSPF timers throughout the network to make them
more sensitive - this because we had SNA traffic (first via RSRB, then
DLSw) and we wanted fast failover.  This worked, but does make OSPF a bit
more inclined to hysteria when there are links flapping.  This is now
being phased out as we have moved to TN3270, but the timers haven't all
been changed back yet.
We possibly could go back to advertising each site separately now, since
we've reduced the load in the core by various other methods, but I
wouldn't want to battle the layer 8 issues to do it.
/JMcL

There can be creative solutions if you think outside the traditional
OSPF box. Hypothetically, if your address plan split geographically,
it might even be an idea to have an eastern and western OSPF domain
(i.e., an area 0.0.0.0 and a set of nonzero areas), linked by
redundant static routes or possibly BGP.  The latter is especially
useful if you have multiple ISP connections.  Remember also that a
router can have multiple OSPF processes, so the same router could
participate in different domains. I assume your user population
stretches across at least three time zones, so this sort of redesign
might localize some core thrashing.
JMcL: I don't think we have too much time-based thrashing - even though
most of our population is in the same time zone (especially in winter).
Splitting our core is something that has frequently been considered, and
in fact it was originally split, with very ugly redistribution using IGRP,
which caused more problems than it solved.  As I mentioned, we may be
doing a major redesign in the medium term and this is something we can
consider again.
/JMcL

>Peter's summarisation of the problem (pardon the pun) is a very good one
-
>and very useful, as I hadn't really considered the broader case of
>overlapping summarisation in general.

I have a question for Peter a little later -- it can be interesting
to contrast how different routing software deals with an implementer
choice, and I don't know how JunOS deals with a particular situation.

>The chance of a major redesign
>simply to fix this problem is approximately the same chance as me winning
>an Olympic medal, but we may well be doing a major redesign/readdressing
>"soon" anyway, so that is something I can add to the list of
>considerations - then it may be quite feasible to put all the sites on
>Rtr1 into area 2.1.0.0 and all the sites on Rtr2 into area 2.2.0.0.  Any
>thoughts on where the local ethernets should go if we did that?  I guess
>whatever area they go in would have to be defined on both routers, and
>that might bring up issues of where we summarise again.  Hmm.  I'll have
to think about that.

>One thing I'm not clear on, though, is why the problem (reportedly)
>happened before we upgraded to IOS 12.1 - so before a route to null0 was
>used for the summarised networks (we didn't add one manually).  Any
ideas?
>  I can understand why it's happening now, so this is more for my
curiosity
>and understanding.
>
>Peter, when you say that the solution could involve "less specific
>summaries" - do you really mean more specific summaries?  Summarising
less
>drastically (e.g. summarising each site separately) isn't a good solution
>in this particular case because it creates too much load in the core -
>that's how we used to do it but it created other problems.

One of the interesting things about the OSPF specification is that it
leaves a lot of room to the implementer on handling summarization
when some of the more-specific routes become unreachable from one ABR
in a multiple-ABR area.  I know of at least two ways this has been
implemented, and I wish both were selectable -- there's a place for
each.

With IOS, if you have two ABRs in the same area, announcing the same
summary, and the area becomes partitioned, the summaries continue to
be announced. The rationale here is that the greater stability is
worth some loss in connectivity. In other words, it's a static
process of generating the summary.

In Bay RS, in the same situation, you tell the router what
more-specifics belong to a summary.  If any of them become
unreachable, the ABR stops announcing the summary and announces the
remaining more-specifics into the core. The different rationale here
is that accuracy is more important than increased route thrashing.

As you should be able to see, each of these can be valid assumptions
depending on your network objectives.  Peter, how does JunOS deal
with this situation?

What would be really nice is if Cisco extended BGP conditional
advertisement to IGPs, and introduced a knob to have the default
behavior overridden by conditional.

JMcL: I did find an undocumented command (well, not in the command
reference), which sounds like it turns off the generation of the discard
route, but I guess that's not nearly so powerful as a conditional
advertisement (I've learned something else new - I'm not very familiar
with BGP and had to look up conditional advertisements)
/JMcL

>I think in this case I'll be going for the "protect against partitioning"
>solution and bung in another cable.

Sounds good.  A general rule -- always have at least two paths
between pairs of ABRs in an area.