One quick point below.  Trimmed rest.

 Question from Jenny

> >One thing I'm not clear on, though, is why the problem (reportedly)
> >happened before we upgraded to IOS 12.1 - so before a route to null0 was
> >used for the summarised networks (we didn't add one manually).  Any
>ideas?
> >  I can understand why it's happening now, so this is more for my
>curiosity
> >and understanding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the post 12.1, IOS adds the null on ABR's when
area-ranges are used?

In any event, adding a null route for a summary address is usually a good
thing.   Although these null routes do nothing to enhance reachability,
they do prevent traffic from looping when reachability is lost.  In your
case, if your non backbone area was partitioned and traffic arrived at the
ABR which had no specific routes for the destination in question, this
traffic would be forwarded toward default (or another less specific
summary) assuming the null route didn't exist.  Hence, for 192.168.1.1 as
an example, your core routers might like the 192.168/16 route from ABR1 who
might like your core routers 0.0.0.0/0 in which case you'll generate lots
of useless forwarding.  Adding the null route here would simply discard the
traffic gracefully.

Interestingly, if your ABR1 happened to default toward ABR2 for some
reason, not having the null route would actually enable you to route around
the problem.  However, this would only help half the area and implementing
a default on ABR2 toward ABR1 at the same time to fix the other half would
be a case of not looking at the whole picture :)  Some topologies might
actually benefit from a design of this nature which might explain why the
null route wasn't automatically added before.  However, more topologies
would benefit from having it which likely explains why Cisco changed their
default behavior.