The answer is in the Release Notes area of CCO. I assume that you have a CCO
login that allows access to the Software Center. From there go to LAN
Switching Software, then Catalyst 5000, scroll down to
"Documentation/Release Information for the Catalyst 5000 Series" and click
on "Catalyst 5000 Series Release Notes". Choose the notes for version 6.x
and look for Memory Requirements. You should be here: (watch the wrap)
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/c5krn/sw_rns/78_
11304.htm#xtocid2
And read:
The Catalyst 5000 family supervisor engine 6.x software releases require a
minimum of 64-MB DRAM installed on Supervisor
Engine III and 32-MB DRAM installed on Supervisor Engines II G and III G.
If you go to the 5.x Release notes:
The Catalyst 5000 family supervisor engine 5.x software releases require a
minimum of 32-MB DRAM installed on your supervisor engine.
I'd suggest a thorough read of the notes to verify if any special firmware
upgrade is also required. It would be nice if you have a Flash Card to store
several versions of OS. In your config file point to the desired version.

I can't answer your other questions.