But the courier will steal anything that isn't locked up,
including a key!  I believe the solution is as follows:

Your friend sends you his box, unlocked, by courier.  You place
your key inside his box, lock it,  and send it back.  You then
place the diamond into your box, lock it, and send it over.  He
can unlock your box because he has your key.

John

---- On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Kent Yu ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I think the first answer could be just lock the stone in the
box, give
> the
> box and your key to the courier.
>
> Kent
>
> ""Daniel Cotts""  wrote in message
> > I'll bite.
> > a) Boxes and diamond. Gordian Knot technique. Lock the
diamond in your
> box
> > and send it to your friend. He breaks the lock or cuts open
the box.
> > b) Poles and rope. The poles are touching.

problems.

> > > As an example:
> > >
> > > Prep:
> > > You have an empty box, a lock, a key for your lock, and a
> > > diamond.
> > > Your friend has an empty box, and a lock for his box.
> > >
> > > Goal:
> > > You want to get the diamond to your friend via courier.
However
> > > the courier will steal anything that is not locked.  How
do you do
> > > this?
> > >

> > > Another example:
> > >
> > > If you have 2 20' poles, a 32' rope strung between them,
and the
> > > lowest point of the rope is 4' off of the ground, how far
apart are
> > > the poles?
> > >
> > > It gauges how one thinks and handles situations.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]