From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 10:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: port mirroring and vlans [7:40816]

At 12:15 PM 4/8/02, Michael Williams wrote:
>AFAIK, if you have to two switches connected via a trunk link and you
mirror
>VLAN1 to a port, you should see all of the traffic in VLAN1 (i.e. from all
>switches involved in that VLAN).

Only traffic that actually crosses the mirrored port, though, right?
Broadcast /multicast traffic for the VLAN as well as traffic directed to
ports on the switch doing mirroring that are in VLAN 1.

I got the impression he thought he was going to see traffic on other
switches that happened to have ports in VLAN 1 too. I doubt that's true.
Think of all the extra work you would be requiring of the switches.

Priscilla

>  You'll probably run into a situation where
>all of the traffic in VLAN1 will overrun your mirror port (which on a busy
>switch isn't hard to do).  We have two 5500s trunked together, and we span
>(mirror) a port on a VLAN quite frequently.
>
>Mike W.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com