I seem to remember having a bit of a mare with similar. If you have no luck,
is using one of the async ports an option?

This is a working config from a 2509 using first async port:

line 1
 autoselect ppp
 modem Dialin
 modem autoconfigure discovery
 transport input all
 stopbits 1
 speed 115200
 flowcontrol hardware

Gaz

""Hunt Lee""  wrote in message
> [...]

> logging buffered 20000 debugging
> logging trap debugging
> logging 10.1.0.1
> access-list 11 deny   any
> access-list 12 permit 172.16.1.1
> access-list 12 deny   any
> access-list 99 permit 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
> access-list 99 permit x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
> access-list 99 deny   any
> tacacs-server host 10.1.0.1
> tacacs-server key xxxxxxxxxx
> snmp-server community roxwap37 RW 99
> snmp-server community tobyup91 RO 99
> snmp-server trap-authentication
> snmp-server system-shutdown
> snmp-server enable traps config
> banner motd ^C
> ********************
> ****  con1.hkg  ****
> ********************
>
> ^C
> !
> line con 0
>  exec-timeout 0 0
>  login authentication NO_AUTHEN
>  transport input none
> line 1 16
>  session-timeout 60
>  no exec
>  exec-timeout 0 0
>  transport input all
> line aux 0
>  password 7 030752180500
>  login authentication NO_AUTHEN
>  modem InOut
>  modem autoconfigure type default
>  transport input all
>  stopbits 1
>  rxspeed 38400
>  txspeed 38400
>  flowcontrol hardware
> line vty 0 4
>  access-class 99 in
>  password 7 0111071C5004125E70
>  login authentication tacacs-login
> !
> ntp clock-period 17179982
> ntp server 10.1.0.1
> end
>

> P.S:  However, I can reverse telnet into the modem with no problems.
>
> con1.hkg#telnet modem
> Trying modem (172.16.1.1, 2017)... Open
>
> ********************
> ****  con1.hkg  ****
> ********************
>
> at
> OK
> at
> OK
>

> con1.hkg#sh line 17
>  Tty Typ     Tx/Rx     A Modem  Roty AccO AccI  Uses    Noise   Overruns
> * 17 AUX  38400/38400  - inout     -    -    -     5        0        0/0
>
> Line 17, Location: "", Type: ""
> Length: 24 lines, Width: 80 columns
> Baud rate (TX/RX) is 38400/38400, no parity, 1 stopbits, 8 databits
> Capabilities: Hardware Flowcontrol In, Hardware Flowcontrol Out
>   Modem Callout, Modem RI is CD, Modem Autoconfigure
> Modem state: Ready
> Modem hardware state: CTS* noDSR  DTR RTS, Modem Configured
> Special Chars: Escape  Hold  Stop  Start  Disconnect  Activation
>                 ^^x    none   -     -       none
> Timeouts:      Idle EXEC    Idle Session   Modem Answer  Session
Dispatch