Hi,

I like to know how you can sniff (I am using Network General)a device if we
are using switches.I can't sniff any data of a particular device which has
got problems.Normally, what I do is unplug the device from the switch and
put the sniffer and the device together in a hub and monitor what is wrong
with the device.This seems to be cumbersome especially if lots of devices
are connnected to the switch and it seems that it is not the correct way
when the device is put on the network (in the actual switch).I know that
certain switches allow the port to be open like 3Com and HP.But what if
certain switches like Netgear doesn't allow that.

I appreciate anybody's help in this matter and normally how you troubleshoot
with switches using a sniffer.

I have a Catalyst 5000 in my lab in which I anticipate the same problem.

Thanks,

Jay