You can credit Scott Morris for this explanation:

Let's go way back to voice sampling days (where our DS0s
and T-1 originate) and look at the bandwidth of each voice
line. The human voice occupies 3,200 Hz of sound waves. We
cover some area on the outside of this and round it up to a
4,000 Hz range.

The Nyquist Theorem tells us that to adequately sample and
represent any signal, we should sample at twice the
frequency rate. That means if the sound waves cycle through
4,000 cycles per second (Hz), then we should sample at
twice that, or 8,000 times per second.

In addition, each sample is represented on an 8-bit scale.
So we have eight bits of information in each of 8,000 times
per second. That's where we come up with 64,000 bits per
second for a voice channel (64k per DS0). Now, looking at a
T-1, we have 24 individual channels (or DS0s). Doing more
math, 64,000 times 24 is 1,536,000 or 1,536k as your Cisco
7000 allows.

So where does your other router come up with that extra
8,000 bits? Magic?

No, that boils down to framing and some interpretation.

On a T-1, a frame consists of the information from each of
the 24 channels. So each frame (8,000 per second)
represents 24 times 8 bits, or 192 bits of information. In
addition, there's one synchronization bit in each frame.
This gives us 193 bits per frame. While the synchronization
bit moves across the line, it doesn't contain usable data.

But, when looking at the raw numbers here... 193 bits (each
frame) times 8,000 frames per second yields 1,544,000 bits
per second. Usable information, however is 24 channels
times 8 bits times 8,000 frames per second... Or 1,536,000
bits per second.