Let me respond only to one specific point.

At 7:54 PM -0400 4/19/02, Kevin Cullimore wrote:

>I'm also led to believe that the early CCSI exams were designed to weed out
>mere CCIEs (please, somebody, correct me if I'm wrong on that [or any other]
>account).

There were no CCSI exams until 1995 or so. I was certified in 1993,
when there were also no training partners -- I delivered courses as a
subcontractor to Cisco. Many, if not most, Cisco courses were
delivered by Cisco employee CCSIs.  Let me describe the process and
see if you'd call it an exam.

It's been a while, but the process started with my company proposing
me and sending a resume and samples of my work.  I was then phone
interviewed by several Cisco people, then invited out to the training
center (then in Mountain View).

Once I got there, I again was interviewed by multiple instructors. I
then took what was then the Router Software Configuration course as a
student. I then spent a week or two going over my notes, practicing
on equipment, etc., and then took the course again, this time
focusing on how the instructor delivered it.  In all of these cases,
I was frequently called on to work with students on real-world
designs.

There were only two Cisco courses at the time, Router Software and
Router Hardware, so you got people of all levels.

Next, I moved to team teaching parts of the courses with a Cisco
instructor, and often several proctors.  I think it was my second
teaching of the week-long course when my lead proctor stopped me at a
break, chewed me out for being fogged, and told me he didn't want me
to teach for the rest of the week -- just listen.

It was with some perverse pleasure that I called him from the
intensive care unit the next day -- apparently, my increasing fog was
due to decreasing heart function.  While I was in the hospital for an
angioplasty only for a couple of days, I was forbidden to fly for
several weeks, and, when I could walk comfortably, went daily to
Cisco to work with the staff. As we got to know one another, they
learned that while the typical Cisco instructor of the time had a
background in field engineering, mine was much more in protocol
development. When I first stood up before a class again, I actually
revised the unit on OSI protocols, since some of the courseware was
misleading or wrong -- I had spent six years working full-time on OSI
protocol development and testing. I spent productive time with
several course developers, going through courseware and giving
detailed technical critiques.  I was also asked into some customer
meetings to advise on network design.

Eventually, my health was back up to team teaching, and then I taught
a full class with a proctor observing but not participating. At that
point, I was given a provisional certification, which was not made
permanent until Cisco had done detailed monitoring of my student
reviews for 3 months, and I had had a number of Cisco field office
employees attend my classes, critique them, and work with customers.

This experience was also punctuated by little problems like having
the teaching lab delivered to you after a forklift had speared
through the shipping crate. I developed a great deal of respect for
the ruggedness of 4000 series routers, especially after initial
teaching on MGS and AGS routers (IOS 9.0, incidentally).  In my
second class, I had to open up a failing MGS and replace the
processor, with only directions over the phone.  It was fairly
routine to have to open xGS routers and troubleshoot loose ribbon
cables between the I/O boards and the actual interfaces -- they
didn't use the modern adapter cables, which vastly improved
reliability.

Subsequently, I was involved in reviewing several courses in draft,
attending the beta teach, and doing some course development for
things like Cisco University. I was in the first group of non-Cisco
people to teach CID, which had been a course for SEs only and
considerably different from the present course. Trying to think of
the author's name...Geoff something. Priscilla wrote the next version
(OK, what was Geoff's last name)? The next version was subcontracted
to my company, with Kip Peterson as the lead author but with several
contributions from me.

So was there an exam? You decide.