At 9:38 PM -0400 4/19/02, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>Were you teaching IS-IS before you had to get that angioplasty? Argh.

Well, it was angioplasty #2. IIRC, I was teaching translational
bridging under the ...ahem...gentle guidance of Larry Ahner.  The
nastiest part of having to go into cardiac care is that I had been
under the supervision of a chain smoker, while I never touched the
stuff!

Actually, there wasn't any ISIS taught at the time, just mentioned.
RSC did have a chapter on OSI addressing, with a little about
stateless autoconfiguration.  Kip Peterson was my official "guide" at
the time, and when he found out I actually had worked on it, he
pulled together all available instructors and I went through what the
fields actually did according to the international standards. It was
then the first thing I taught on my return.

I'll be the first to agree that knowing how full OSI addressing
worked is one of the less relevant things that occupies space in my
brain, but considerably more useful than being able to recite the
precise definition of the Presentation Layer.  Damn near cut my
throat; I was shaving and suddenly realized I could not only quote
it, but knew what it meant. *shudder*

>I can attest to the fact that Howard was instrumental in shaping up a
>number of Cisco courses.
>
>I didn't realize that CID was originally for SEs. That explains a lot.

Well, it's been a long time, but I remember Gordon Clogston coming in
to a beta of something and announcing they were redirecting the
course for resellers. Remember how things like the actual switching
paths, internalbuffering and such came out?  Mind you, I would
chalk-talk them whenever I gave CID. I ought to post my supplemental
slides on that sort of thing--if I can find it, I'll put it on the
FTP site.
>The
>original author was Geoff Haviland. I remember his name because of the
famous china of the same name. (may be a girl thing. ;-)