Based on chuck's diagram and the use of the "E1" ospf route I think this
would be a matter
of how the enterprise is designed and what type of links interconnect the
various
locations/sites.  Simply using the "DIO" metric-type could allow for
suboptimal routing as
chuck noted.

I realize that I was thinking that the enterprise should have dual
default
routes out to the ISP, when in fact by using the "E1" as howard pointed
out, would allow
each site to default to the nearest gateway based on the sum of the
internal+external
calculated by the E1 metric.  So based on a well designed enterprise this
would account
for the individual traffic flows of each location/site to be balanced
between the two ISP POPs.

Wow.. this stuff is actually begining to make sense..  :->

Nigel

Method and Process Scenario 5: OSPF [7:42139] >Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002
21:57:36 -0400 > >I think I see what you are getting to, Howard, but for
the purpose of your >scenario, are you assuming that the enterprise
backbone construction makes >sense? > >for example, in your case, are you
assuming something like
>Seattle---Portland----SanFran---SanJose---LosAngeles---SanDiego with the
ISP >connections in SanDiego and Seattle, or better yet Portland and
LosAngeles? > >What I'm seeing no matter how I try to construct this is
that, for example, >half of Seattle's traffic traverses the entire
network to get to the >LosAngeles egress while at the same time, half of
SanDiego's traffic is >going past LosAngeles, and up to Portland. >
>Maybe I'm digressing. Maybe this isn't necessarily a good design. OTOH,
it >is a design that saves the company money due to the various pricing
issues >involved, no matter what the transport decision. ( interstate,
inter-lata, >inter-telco, etc ) > >tell me if I am off topic with regard
within: > > > > > > > > >""Howard C. Berkowitz"" wrote in message > >
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]... > > >> >Howard, > > > > > I
think I see where you're going. The default on the "DIO" > > >> >command
is > > >> >applying an "E2" to the default as it is sent into the
enterprise. >It > > is > > >> >also > > >> >known that by order of
preference that "E2" routes are least >preffered. > > >> >So based > > >>
>on your hint.. I'm thinking making use of the "metric-type" parameter
>to > > >> >make > > >> >the default-route an "E1" metric which would
provide known route info > > >> >into the > > >> >ISP's network.
Nope..this isn't it. > > >> > > >> STOP! Using E1 is the answer, although
I don't think you have the > > >> reason quite right. On the
default-information originate command, > > >> use metric-type 1 and an
equal metric on both routers. > > >> > > > > E1 considers the combined
internal and external metric. If you make > > >> the external metrics
equal, traffic in your network will go to the > > >> closest exit. If the
network topology is reasonably well designed > > >> with the placement of
your gateways, this should give approximate > > >> sharing of both
internal resources and the ISP links. > > > > > >hhhmmmmm......... > > >
> > >I'm wondering how many readers of this thread fooled themselves by
>thinking > > >that the idea was to ensure per packet load sharing out
the two ISP >links? > > >which no doubt leads to suboptimal routing for a
significant portion of > > >traffic, if my mental picture is correct. > >
mutually > > >exclusive here? > > > > In practice, no, if you think
carefully where you place the ISP > > gateways. Typically, they should be
at opposite geographical ends of > > your network, near heavy
concentrations of users. That often causes > > load sharing by pure use
distribution. It's certainly not per-packet > > between multiple routers.
It's more per-destination for individual > > routers, CEF of course
giving even better results than fast switching. > > > > The optimal
routing to which we are referring is internal, not > > external. It
presupposes the ISP links are of equal capacity. > > > > >Message Posted
at: >http://www.groupstudy.com/form/read.php?f=7&i=42192&t=42139
misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]