OSPF by default would inject the default route as an
"E2" route in the routing table, but "E2" routes never
take into account the cummaltive costs to the route
originator.  The answer to this would be for OSPF to
inject the defualt route as an "E1" route.  That way,
the default route that would be chosen would take the
cummative costs into consideration.  The configuration
step would add the term "metric-type 1" to the initial
default info originate command.

--- "Howard C. Berkowitz"  wrote:
> At 2:19 PM -0400 4/21/02, Nigel Taylor wrote:
> >Yes,
> >
> >        I forgot about the getting that default
> route into the enterprise
> >from the CE.  That would leave the
> "default-information orginate" .
> >
> >Nigel
>
> Nigel, thanks for continuing this thread, because
> I'm finding the
> interaction very informative, and will try to start
> building it into
> practice things.
>
> I think it was you that mentioned that it can be
> hard to stop
> thinking about configuration commands and look a
> little more broadly
> about the problem.  Yes, in this case, you could use
>
> default-information originate.
>
> But think on the protocol/functionality level for a
> moment.  To get
> both internal and external (i.e., to the ISP) load
> balancing, what
> information does the default route have to convey
> into the
> enterprise's OSPF?
>
> [hint follows]

> Think about the parameters of default-information
> originate,
> especially the values it does by default (the other
> kind of default,
> that is). The answer lies in using a non-default
> value of one
> parameter.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://games.yahoo.com/