I use a newsgroup reader at home and the web forum at work.... either way I
get the full threads and can send posts.... =)
If you see a post with [EMAIL PROTECTED], that's one that I posted via the
web.  All the rest (like this one) are posted via Outlook Express.

If you reply to a post via the web, by default it won't quote the message
your replying (but you can click a button to quote the message so you can do
inline comments, etc).

Back to RTP.....  Although voice traffic is small (smaller than most other
traffic), I still can't think of one good reason to limit it (especially
when moving from voice to video).  2Mbps is alot of compressed voice
streams, but even using G.729 (8Kbps not counting overhead), you're only
talking about 8 T1 (equivalent) voice trunks.  I know that sounds like alot,
but consider this situation:

We have locations in 6 different states, which all connect to the WAN core
via ATM (the PVCs comes into our core via an OC-12).  We want to run as many
as 3 T1 voice trunks between PBX systems spread out in the city (where the
core is), and then one to each of the other states..... That's 8 T1 trunks.
Granted, it's very unlikely that all 24 channels on each trunk would be used
at once, but if that were to happen, we could potentially be pushing the
2Mbps limit on our OC-12 (that limit would only apply to outgoing, and even
tho there are no trunks terminating in the building/equipment where the WAN
core is, all of the voice trunks have to pass through in/out of our OC-12 to
get to any other site in the WAN).

I could understand if they put a limit in percentage of bandwidth, but still
a hard limit of 2Mbps on *any* physical interface (which, in our case is a
622Mbps OC-12), that's only 0.32% of the bandwidth we can use for RTP
priority.....  using G.729 we can get by with what we want now, but any
future expansion of the voice traffic would require a separate DS-3/OC-3
connection to the core just to be sure we have the priority we need....
(well, actually before going to that extreme, I'd probably implement a
simple priority queue with any RTP traffic going into the high queue and all
other in the normal queue)....

Oh well..... this is the fun stuff that drew me into networking in the first
place =)

Mike W.