From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 12:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: IP RTP Priority command [7:42555]

Limiting the bandwidth for RTP makes sense for voice, which uses very
little bandwidth. Maybe that's what the developers of the command had in
mind, rather than video. 2 Mbps would be a lot of compressed voice streams.
Depending on the CODEC, a single voice stream might just require 8 Kbps. 2
Mbps would support something like 250 simultaneous calls in that case.

I read group study with e-mail. I don't know how other people are doing it
and if perhaps they somehow see the rest of this thread with the original
messages. I just see replies sometimes and the connectionless, stateless
nature of the discussion is hard to follow . I don't know if the original
question had to do with voice or video.

How are you guys participating in this list, anyway? Why do we e-mail
participants just see replies. This didn't use to be the case. Sorry if
that's a clueless question, but I truly am mystified. :-)

Priscilla

At 11:51 PM 4/25/02, Michael L. Williams wrote:
>Yeah.... and I've tried the command on interface with bandwidth ranging
from
>10Mbps (Ethernet), to 40Mbps (ATM) to 100Mbps (FastEthernet) and it still
>insists on limiting the 'bandwidth' parameter to 0-2000Kbps......    And
>you're correct, I also thought using IP RTP Priority was a 'one-liner' that
>you let you avoid fancy queueing, but apparently only if you don't need
more
>than 2Mbps on a given physical interface... geez...
>
>Mike W.
>
>"Anthony Pace"  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I was under the same impression that "IP RTP PRIORITY" was a "one-liner"
> > which got you out from under having to do alot of fancy Queing if all
you
> > needed was the ability to prioritize voice or video. Can you change the
> > bandwidth with the "bandwidth" configuration command to raise the RTP
> > ceiling? The quieng question is a good one, because, allthough queing is
> > supposed to be applied to a phisical interface, you can apply quing in a
> > frame-relay class-map, and different maps can be applied to different
> > interfaces.
> >
> > Anthony Pace

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com