Giles Funnell wrote:

> I've just replaced an old 10MB hub with a 2900 Catalyst Switch.  All the
> connections are fine except for one.  I have a relatively blank
> configuration with all the computers in one vlan.  For this one
> connection I can't ping either the PC or the switch from the PC.  There
> is a connection there and the MAC address of the computer shows up in
> the table on the switch so I don't think there's any physical problem
> with the connection.  I've tried playing around with the speed and
> duplex settings but had no luck.  I have attached a couple of
> configurations from the switch.

Did you enable portfast on the access ports? A  switch interface is in one
of two modes: access or trunk. Since you're not connecting to another
switch, it's advisaable to use portfast. You can even enable
portfast on an interface that connects to a router if you're not using
the router/switch link in a ROAST or OAR configuration (router on a stick /
one-armed router). Since the PC MAC addr shows up in the switch table but
you're not able to ping the PC, it's likely that the PC doesn't have an IP
addr (assuming you're using a DHCP srvr, are you?). Portfast activates the
interface quickly so the exchange of messages can occur within the time
slice allowed by the DHCP srvr.

-- TT