> I'm quite new to the world of Cisco so please bear with me.

        Since this is quite basic question, you might post it on associate
list, as well. But, here we go anyway. Someone more experienced will, of
course, correct me if I'm blatantly wrong in what I write (just a humble
apprentice here).

> I've just replaced an old 10MB hub with a 2900 Catalyst
> Switch.  All the
> connections are fine except for one.

        It would greatly help to point to exact interface where this
problematic PC is connected. Based on "show interfaces" output that you
sent, there are two likely candidates - FastEthernet0/5 (less likely) and
FastEthernet0/6 (more likely).

        FastEthernet0/5 is down, meaning that whatever is there is not up
and running. There have been some traffic on the interface, as statistics
show. No errors though. Might point to faulty NIC on he other side, although
in that case, some errors would be there.

        FastEthernet0/6 is more interesting. Whatever is there has some
issues. There have been a lot of CRC errors (38 errors on 47KB of traffic is
a lot - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but error rate on this interface is
around 10% ?). Errors are CRC and frame errors. Assuming that you have
simple setup there, this would most probably point to a bad cable or bad NIC
in that PC.

        On the other hand, amount of broadcast traffic compared to unicast
on that interface is amazing. What exactly is there, even if that PC is not
the problem?

> Another problem I'm having is when I use HyperTerminal to
> connect to the switch it locks up after a while.  Even if
> I close it down and re-open it there isn't any response
> from the switch.  I can still telnet into it
> and connect through Internet Explorer.

        This has been bugging me, as well. With 2900XL and 3500XL series.
The only solution that I came up with was the process of actually connecting
the console to PC:

        1. Connect cable to switch
        2. Connect connector converter (little brown thing, don't know the
correct name, sorry) to PC
        3. Plug the cable into PC
        4. Start terminal program

        It might all be coincidence, but this annoyed me a lot few months
ago.

Regards,

Marko.