It has to catch on doesn't it?

Do we have a choice?  I mean we are nearing half utilization of ipv4 space.
(granted a lot is being wasted through various misconfigured networks or
address space that is no longer needed)

But honestly...  What happens when every person in the world has 2-3 ip
addresses for themselves?  My isp will hand me one for my home network.  My
cell phone carrier will assign me one so I can stay connected when I am
away.  My SUV certainly needs one...I mean how else I am to send email in an
efficient manner from my laptop?  How on earth are my kinds going to be able
to play quake on long road trips?  On that note, will my laptop have a
wireless nic in it?  Well it seemingly would have to in order for me to
maximize my own personal utilization.

In that respect, ipv4 is already dead.  Is it not?  What other choices are
there?  Unless every service we subscribe to is based on PAT, we're
screwed... heaven forbid I'm ssh'd int my network via my phone/pda and the
translation table gets cleared!.. BOY will I be upset!

:)

-Patrick

At 04:45 PM 4/30/02, Michael L. Williams wrote:
>I'm sure I'm missing something and I need to read and learn more about IPv6
>(when's your book coming out? =)...

July. The publisher is slow. The book won't cover IPv6 in detail though.
Although it might seem like I'm a big proponent of it, I'm not really sure
it will catch on.

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and
/or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health System,
Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom
addressed.  This email may contain information that is held to be
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized access, dissemination, distribution or
copying of any information from this email is strictly prohibited, and may
subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then delete this
email and its attachments from your computer. Thank you.