At 04:13 PM 5/13/02, Mike Mandulak wrote:
>Lammle refers to EIGRP as being a Hybrid of distance-vector and link state.

That's wrong. EIGRP is not link-state in any way. EIGRP calculates a flat
routing table that lists networks, distance, and next hop (distance
vectors). If the list contains multiple entries for a destination (because
there are multiple ways to reach the destination), the entries are sorted
by metric and the one with the lowest metric is selected. This is very
different than how a link-state protocol functions.

A link-state routing protocol creates a mathematical graph that depicts the
network. A link-state protocol implements a sophisticated process, called
the Dijkstra algorithm, to determine the shortest path to all points in the
graph when the nodes and links in the graph are known. Link-state has a
specific meaning to computer scientists. You'll find a lot of good stuff
about it if you search with Google. A lot of it is not related to routing
protocols.

EIGRP does have some features that make it different from other
distance-vector protocols. Although EIGRP still sends vectors with distance
information, the updates are non-periodic, partial, and bounded.
Non-periodic means that updates are sent only when a metric changes rather
than at regular intervals. Partial means that updates include only routes
that have changed, not every entry in the routing table. Bounded means that
updates are sent only to affected routers. These behaviors mean that EIGRP
uses very little bandwidth.

EIGRP also determines a feasible successor, which other distance-vector
protocols don't do. Its complex metric is also a feature not found in many
other distance-vector algorithms, (except IGRP of course).

Please do not send messages to me directly, especially not to quote Lammle
CCNA fluff.

Priscilla

>He only gives a brief mention of EIGRP and says to refer to the CCNP study
>guide for more info.

EIGRP?

>that
> > >Cisco