Kevin,

Packet Switching is a networking method in which nodes share bandwidth with
each other by sending packets and Circuit Switching is when a dedicated
physical circuit path must exist between sender and receiver for the
duration of the "call."   There is a link I use in my class that tends to
help my students understand Packet Switching.  I hope it helps a little.
http://www.rad.com/networks/1998/packet/sim.htm

--

Steven S. Minnick
CCNP/CCDP/CCAI/EE