to be honest... this is how we operate... Hubs are much less likely to fail
that switches.  I mean...really...the only thing that could fry is the power
supply... :)

I can't believe the 2948 l3 does not support port monitoring... that's
insane...That needs to be a support call.  That is rediculous...

We have had our 100mb hub in place now for 3 yrs..... so I wouldn't worry
about it failing... (I mean, it only has to be a little 4-5 port 100mb hub
to connect your internet router and your firewall to.... And maybe another
one for however many dmz's you have.

-Patrick

>>> "sam sneed"  05/20/02 01:51PM >>>
I've thought of putting it on a hub but its a production network and I don't
want to add another point of failure. If something happened to the hub it
would bring the whole network down.

""Brunner Joseph""  wrote in message
> it does not.
>
> even if you put the "span port" in the same bridge group as the firewall's
> port, it still acts like a switch,
> a seperate collision domain between each port and node.
>
> why not just put the fw on a hub, and the monitoring
> station on the hub. And connect the hub to the 2648G_L3 ?
This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and
/or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health System,
Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom
addressed.  This email may contain information that is held to be
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized access, dissemination, distribution or
copying of any information from this email is strictly prohibited, and may
subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then delete this
email and its attachments from your computer. Thank you.