The hub itself might not fail, but it would be one more thing that should
be on a UPS. We had a five-hour power outage last night and learned the
hard way about the holes in our "disaster recovery" plan. In our case, we
do have our main hub on a UPS but the darn UPS failed. That hub is in a
crucial spot in the topology. It brought everything down.

Regarding SPAN, are we saying that neither SPAN or port mirroring works on
the 2948G-L3? That's awfully strange. Is it because it's really a router??

Priscilla

At 03:47 PM 5/20/02, Patrick Ramsey wrote:
>to be honest... this is how we operate... Hubs are much less likely to fail
>that switches.  I mean...really...the only thing that could fry is the power
>supply... :)
>
>I can't believe the 2948 l3 does not support port monitoring... that's
>insane...That needs to be a support call.  That is rediculous...
>
>We have had our 100mb hub in place now for 3 yrs..... so I wouldn't worry
>about it failing... (I mean, it only has to be a little 4-5 port 100mb hub
>to connect your internet router and your firewall to.... And maybe another
>one for however many dmz's you have.
>
>-Patrick

>I've thought of putting it on a hub but its a production network and I don't
>want to add another point of failure. If something happened to the hub it
>would bring the whole network down.
>

>""Brunner Joseph""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > it does not.
> >
> > even if you put the "span port" in the same bridge group as the
firewall's
> > port, it still acts like a switch,
> > a seperate collision domain between each port and node.
> >
> > why not just put the fw on a hub, and the monitoring
> > station on the hub. And connect the hub to the 2648G_L3 ?
transmitted with it may contain confidential and
>/or proprietary information in the possession of WellStar Health System,
>Inc. ("WellStar") and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom
>addressed.  This email may contain information that is held to be
>privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
>the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>notified that any unauthorized access, dissemination, distribution or
>copying of any information from this email is strictly prohibited, and may
>subject you to criminal and/or civil liability. If you have received this
>email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then delete this
>email and its attachments from your computer. Thank you.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com