This begs the question, what is the difference between a multi-port bridge
and a switch?  Or, what is a switch when it routes?  I personally think
bridge and router convey with relatively little ambiguity the function of a
device whereas switch  is simply a tool that marketing folks use when they
need to reverse their previous opinion on devices.  IE, after telling folks
routers are better than bridges for a few years (in order to sell routers),
when it becomes more lucrative to sell bridges again, one can simply call
the bridge a switch and superficially maintains ones
integrity.  Furthermore, when it becomes more lucrative to sell routers
again, one can simply call the router a layer 3 switch and again perform
the switchback without visibly contradicting ones previous assertion.   I
think the chain looks something like this

bridges -> routers -> switches - > l3 switches -> etc etc