I was oblivious to the fact that I was using the word "subnet".  What I
should have used is the word "segment".  Anyway, I went back to what I
thought was the source and was unable to find the description I had read.
I'll look again.  Not sure where I read it now.  Anyway, this thread has
confirmed what I have always understood, ie. that switches are multiport
bridges.  If I find that description again, I'll post it here for you to
take a look at.

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> At 02:58 PM 5/22/02, Kevin Jones wrote:
> >If a multiport bridge determines (based on the destination MAC address)
that