From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Brian Hill
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 6:01 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: DHCP NACK problems [7:44671]

Is it always NACKing for the same IP lease? Normally, the DHCP process
works
like this: The client sends a DHCPDISCOVER to find a DHCP server, the
server
responds with a DHCPOFFER, offering the client an IP, the client
responds
with a DHCPREQUEST to choose the IP address (in case it gets an offer
for
more than 1), and the server responds with a DHCPACK, sealing the deal.
However, MS DHCP servers have a "feature" that allows them to detect IP
address conflicts before responding with an ACK. What I would check is a
few
things:

First, if this is happening due to a conflict detection, you should see
under active leases in DHCP a "BAD ADDRESS" listed by the IP. If you see
that, ping the IP in question. If you get a response, track down the PC,
and
do an ipconfig to find it's DHCP server. Then track down that server and
kill it :)

Hope this helps,

Brian Hill
CCNP, CCDP, MCSE 2000 (Charter Member),MCSE+I (NT4.0),
MCSA (Charter Member), MCP+I, MCP(21), Inet+, Net+, A+
Lead Technology Architect, TechTrain
Author: Cisco, The Complete Reference
http://www.alfageek.com